30 Minus 2 Days of Writing: Damn (8/28)

Feb 08


Turns out I might have been wrong on things recently.

See, for those of you who have been following, you realize I’m a bit of an open book with things in my life, health included. I’ve never worried much about certain things and I’ve shared my plight with my foot.

Well, dear friends, it seems to have taken an odd turn and a bit for the worse.

Let me explain.

I went in Thursday for the foot surgery. It was early, too. I had to be there by 5:45 a.m. I registered and was taken to my waiting spot to get a gown on and all. They put the IV in to prep me. The anesthesiologist, surgeon and whoever else was important came in and chatted. They discussed the anesthesia that was going to be used (I was hoping local, but they thought best to put me under).

And then …

Well, I was pretty anxious about the whole thing. It was my first surgery, so I was apprehensive. That made things tense for me.

I will say they gave me some silly gas, though. That was pretty funny. They were asking me questions and I started cracking up.


I felt a tightness in my chest, something I would liken to heartburn. However, being prepped for surgery, I thought I should probably mention it to those in attendance. After some discussion, they decided to hold things off for a little while, just to see some things. So I’m in a holding pattern and they get an EKG from me and hook me up to monitor and want cardiology to come down and check me out.


All I wanted was for my foot to be fixed.

So, I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Do you see where that’s going? All of a sudden, it’s noon. When I was giving pre-admissions stuff, I was told I’d be probably done and leaving by 12-12:30.

I’m still in a holding pattern. At this point, I’m now worried if it goes too late and they do the surgery, I’m going to lose the anesthesia team I had personally requested (based on recommendations from others).

Cardiology — after six hours — came down and discussed things with me. Though things looked OK, I had some risks (those I won’t go into here, but it’s family history/health things from past etc.), so he wanted to talk to the head cheese. She came down about 15 minutes later and discussed things with me. Turns out they were postponing my surgery as they wanted me to take a stress test.

Have to make things are OK, after all.


See, this is not what I needed. This foot needed to be fixed. They also wanted to keep me overnight (just because I drove 50 minutes to get there), but I nixed that. So I went home. The plan was now for the stress test Friday, with the surgery to happen Monday.

Friday comes and I do the stress test and they take photos of my heart and all that good stuff. It was a long, and surprisingly mentally exhausting, day. The stress test went well and I felt I was proving my thoughts right.

Then my surgeon/doctor called later in the afternoon.

Turns out they found something in the photos that is an abnormality. I have no idea what that means and it’s not worth speculating. She mentioned they wanted to meet with me and look things over. It’s there where things will likely be talked about the my course of action. At this point, there’s not much I can do until the Monday appointment. I hope it’s not as bad as it could be. But, it seems like things keep going in odd directions, so I don’t know what to expect.

Time will tell. I’ll do as I have to as the heart really isn’t something to mess with.

Then, maybe I can get my foot fixed. Until then? Damn.

(Note: These aren’t being posted to generate sympathy, rather as a way for me to kind of release things in my head. Thanks though to any kind words. I’ll keep pushing on — it’s the only choice I have!) 

This is part of We Work for Cheese’s annual writing challenge. Despite what might be blamed, I had nothing to do with it. Go check them out for other crazy writers doing this challenge. 

Feel free to leave a comment, or e-mail P.J. at hoohaablog@gmail.com. Also, please “Like” HooHaa Blog on Facebook!

Did you like this? Share it:


  1. Wow, I’m so sorry to hear this P.J. I’ll keep thinking positive thoughts that it won’t be anything serious and you’ll finally get your foot problem resolved!
    Nicky recently posted..Generate ThisMy Profile

  2. Well, that sucks! Try not to worry too much over the weekend. I’m told alcohol helps. :) Thinking good thoughts for you, P.J.
    injaynesworld recently posted..injaynesworld it’s “The Opening Ceremony Recap…”My Profile

  3. Well, you can look at it this way. If there’s something wrong that can be fixed, that’s good, because they caught it. Imagine if it could have been fixed, but hadn’t been caught? You could have been out just doing something and the whole thing falls apart and then there might not be anything they can do.

    Best thoughts on your well being.
    Paul Myers recently posted..Photo Blogging Challenge (January 2013): NewMy Profile

  4. I’m so sorry, PJ, this is not something you ever want to hear.. I’ll keep my fingers crossed it’s nothing serious.
    Ziva recently posted..30 Minus 2 Days of Writing III: DamnMy Profile

  5. It’s enough give one pause ~ we are all wishing the best for you.
    Tami Von Zalez recently posted..Dampfnudel and French-fried deviled eggsMy Profile

  6. Good GAWD! I can’t believe this!!! What a crazy unexpected turn. But the GOOD news is they see something and can do something about it. What if they had NOT seen it. I look at your foot accident as something that potentially saved your life!!! You might have gotten this infection so the doctors would find the heart issue. Now BOTH will be fixed. My prayers are with you… my thoughts are with you. BE STRONG… have a nice drink and enjoy tomorrow… the Monday is a new day with answers and a start to getting better!
    Katherine recently posted..Aging in StyleMy Profile

  7. Well phooey. What a damn good post, though!
    ReformingGeek recently posted..28 Days of Writing – DamnMy Profile

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge